Monday, June 30, 2008

This Ol' Box




Okay, I really love old boxes! Can you tell??








Look at the way this old box from Morrison's General store in Asheville,NC is made. The tongue and groove detail is awesome, the craftsmanship put into this you just don't see anymore. And to think this was just for shipping, now it has it's place on my fridge. This one is my very favorite boxes.










This old Dr. Pepper case reminds me of my childhood. Sounds weird I know, there was this family that we were close to and the mom drank Dr.Pepper constantly! It is because of my fond memories of her that makes this box so special. This piece sits on an old Hoosier in my kitchen.


















I have no idea what this box was made for,

but I know it is really old and the stories it

could tell, it too is made with tongue and groove.I like it and use it to stash things in to keep clutter off my counter.





















This other box was used to keep acid in, that is all I know about it because
it actually has acid faintly printed on the side. Now it is on my bathroom wall used to keep my bath salts and oils.

Also a tongue and groove quality made box.










This other box is mystery, but love the grain and weathered look to it. I can only imagine what this

was used for, it is very primitive and has quite a few years

on this one. This one has nails in it. As you can see this is also in the kitchen to hold all my coffee stuff in.








I love wood especially OLD wood, you can't find good quality wood anymore. I love to find old pieces that need a little lovin' and fix them up to bring it back to it's glory or just appreciate them they way they are.






This is a tongue and groove Walco pipe wrench
box I use to put my mail in.


I have old cheese boxes alot like this one that I use in my studio to put misc. work stuff in.











Times gone by is what I think about when looking at these

beauties when things were made to last. When it wasn't a "throw away" society, a time when you fixed things rather than replace it. Someone worked hard to make these boxes with their own two hands, there is history and culture in even the smallest mundane items such as boxes.
People used and re-used these items way past the intended use, and thankful they did to have around for generations to come so people can appreciate simple treasures of our past.

So there you have it, my confessions of an old box addict.


What do you treasure?






No comments: